Caring for the Teeth of a Special Needs Child
A healthy smile is important to a special needs child. Starting early preventive care for your special needs child is an important aspect of your child's health.
Dental disease is preventable and your child can benefit from a collaborative approach between you, your child and our team at Kids Dental. A first dental visit by your child's first birthday is a good time to start preventive dental care.
Children with special needs are very diverse in their dental health. Some may have the same dental needs as the rest of the population while others may have disabilities or conditions that increase their risk for various oral health problems.
One child may have a condition that interferes with their ability to brush and floss effectively thus increasing their risk of gum disease and tooth decay. Another child may have health conditions that require special medication or diet which may be destructive to their oral health. Therefore, your child will benefit from early preventive care at our office through effective brushing and flossing, adequate fluoride, sealants, good nutrition and regular dental visits.Home Care Tips for Your Child
- Brush at least twice daily, the most important times being after breakfast and before bed.
- Floss once a day.
- Use a small pea-size amount of toothpaste with fluoride to avoid fluorosis.
- Encourage healthy snacks with positive reinforcement.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles to avoid trauma.
- Consider electrical toothbrushes when brushing effectively becomes too difficult for your child.